Niantic has announced in their April 2022 Dev Diary that an update to Mega Evolution in Pokemon GO is now live in Australia and New Zealand and will be available globally soon. Mega Evolution is an Evolution that transcends all others.
Mega Evolution temporarily changes a Pokémon’s appearance and increases its strength. In Pokémon GO, Trainers use Mega Energy to Mega Evolve their Pokémon. But with the latest Pokémon GO update, Mega Evolution will now be easier and more rewarding than ever before!
Mega Evolution and Mega Raid updates in Pokemon GO
It’s all about helping your Pokémon grow as a Pokémon Trainer, and Niantic is introducing a new option for you to achieve just that: Mega Levels! You work toward boosting a Pokémon’s Mega Level every time you Mega Evolve it. When a Pokémon’s Mega Level increases, you’ll gain extra perks, and these bonuses will last as long as your Pokémon is Mega Evolved.
Each Mega Level grants various bonuses. Bonuses vary by Pokémon, and all bonuses will improve as a Pokémon’s Mega Level increases.
- Increased Candy when you catch Pokémon that are the same type as your Mega-Evolved Pokémon.
- While attacking with a Mega-Evolved Pokémon in a Raid Battle or a Gym battle, the attacks of other Trainers’ Pokémon challenging that same raid or Gym will deal more damage. Their Pokémon’s attacks will deal even more damage if the attack is the same type as your Mega-Evolved Pokémon.
- Increased chance of earning Candy XL when you catch Pokémon that are the same type as your Mega-Evolved Pokémon.
- Increased XP for catching Pokémon that are the same type as your Mega-Evolved Pokémon.
- A Pokémon’s rest period decreases as its Mega Level increases.
A one-time cost to Mega Evolve will also be available in this update
- After Mega Evolving, your Pokémon will be fatigued and need time before it can Mega Evolve again. Once this rest period is over, Pokémon can Mega Evolve again without using Mega Energy.
- You can use Mega Energy to decrease a Pokémon’s rest period. The Mega Energy required to Mega Evolve a Pokémon will decrease as the Pokémon’s rest period becomes shorter.
With this Mega Evolution update, Niantic has announced in Pokemon GO April 2022 Dev Diary, after you Mega Evolve a Pokémon for the first time, you’ll be able to Mega Evolve that same Pokémon again without using Mega Energy!
Mega Kangaskhan enters the fray in Pokemon GO
For the first time, Mega Kangaskhan will be appearing in Mega Raids!
Mega Kangaskhan Raid Day
On Sunday, May 1, 2022, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. local time, this Mega Kangaskhan Raid Day will run featuring:
- Mega Kangaskhan will be appearing more frequently in Mega Raids during this time!
- You’ll have an increased chance of encountering Shiny Kangaskhan.
- You can receive up to five free Raid Passes from spinning Gym Photo Discs during the event and up to two hours afterward.
Pokémon with Evolutions that can Mega Evolve in Pokémon GO will be appearing more frequently in the wild!
Field Research rewards
Event-themed Field Research tasks will be available! Complete the tasks to receive a random reward of Mega Energy for any of the Pokémon capable of Mega Evolution currently available in Pokémon GO