The Three Kingdoms universe is a famous one among gamers. The games that were inspired by the books have been well-received by audiences around the world. Now, the developers of Three Kingdoms, Creative Assembly, have brought out a new game for mobile. The game is already out in Korea and is very popular among the Korean audience. Now, Creative Assembly has brought it to the West by partnering up with Tilting Point. Unlike Total War, Legends of War is an ARPG game. This beginners guide is being brought to you in order to help you out at the start and to help you figure out how Three Kingdoms: Legends Of War works.
The story of Legends Of War is set during the times of the Three Kingdoms period (200-280 AD). The Steam games begin in 190 AD, and so does Legends Of War. We are the Lord of our kingdom in the story, and it is our task to recruit different officers and take them to war.
Generals like Zhang Fei, Guan Yu, Liu Bei, etc. It follows the same plot as the Steam games, where the Yellow Turban Rebellion has just begun, and Zhang Jue is leading the Yellow Turbans in a revolt against the new Emperor. It is our job to help quash this rebellion and to ensure that peace reigns in the Three Kingdoms.
Introducing the basics of Three Kingdoms: Legends of War
The gameplay of Legends Of War is akin to a Musou game. It is a hack-n-slash, heavy-action game. So, we have a team of 3 heroes that we can take to battle. We can choose any 3 out of the roster of heroes we own. These heroes have unique passives, skills, and skill effects.
These skills can be used in battle to take out large groups of enemies on the way to the final boss. The final boss of the mission is the one who has a shield and has more health than the other enemies.
To go into battle we need Scrolls. These scrolls are battle order and are very important for us to start any main fighting mission. Once we start a mission, we are transported to a map where we have to shred our way through large groups of enemies, and then attack the final boss. Usually, the fights are pretty easy, as in the beginning, the game gives us really strong characters. We breeze through the starting stages, and then we are strong enough with all the beginner rewards, so we can enter the later stages and win comfortably.
Along with it, we also have to build farms, foundries, governance buildings, and raid buildings. These buildings are necessary for different purposes.
- Main Castle: The Main Castle is the most important building in our base. This is the building from which we maintain control over our kingdom.
- Farms and Foundries: Farms are used for growing rice, which is in turn necessary for supplying troops and constructing other buildings. Foundries produce iron ore. It is one of the most important construction materials.
- Marketplace: Here we can buy various enhancement materials for our officers.
- Alliance: We can join alliances through this building. Joining an alliance can allow us to take down raid bosses, and other perks.
- Raid: Raid building is the building from where we can raid other player’s resources, and also keep our resources safer in case another player attacks us.
We can also level up our officers to increase their strength. The item sets that the officers can equip can also be leveled up. The rare heroes are 5 stars, while the common heroes are 4 stars. We can also get various Material Officers for upgrading and enhancing heroes. These enhancing officers are generally officers at ranks like Captain, Junior, etc. Basically, they are not heroes like our main characters. These officers can be obtained by doing missions and quests daily.
Missions and Events
There is no shortage of events in Three Kingdoms. A lot of them keep popping up all the time, and they bring new content with them. There are also a lot of daily missions we can do in order to progress properly.
In Three Kingdoms, along with the single-player campaign, we can also indulge ourselves in some fantastic PVP gameplay. There are different PVP modes we can play:
- Mystic Creature Battle Mode: In this mode, we can join forces with other Lords and their heroes, and defeat a mega boss of sorts. Different items are rewarded after defeating a boss, which helps to increase our heroes’ power levels.
- 50 V 50 Alliance Battles: Like in other MMOs, Three Kingdoms has Alliance Wars where we can fight with a rival clan along with 49 of our alliance members. We have to build the best defense and strategically place our heroes along the line of defense to lead our alliance to victory.
- 10 v 10 Arena Battles: 10 v 10 battles are of a smaller scale. 20 players fight each other to establish their dominance as the most superior lords in the arena.
- 3 v 3 PVP Battles: A shorter format than with the 50 v 50 and 10 v 10 battle format, 3 v 3 is less time-consuming but a lot more fun, as it is a quick, but brutal brawl.
- 1v1 Duels: As the name suggests, this mode is made to decide who the best is between two players.
Understanding the in-game Resources
Following is the list of current resources found in Three Kingdoms: Legends Of War that are accessible to beginners:
- Tattered Leather
- Tough Strap
- Walnut Wood
- Iron Sand
- Old Skein
- Polishing Stone
- Platinum Plate
Most of the above are upgradable materials, which are necessary for increasing our heroes’ power levels and defenses. These materials are divided into categories, and the most common of these are C-grade materials.
Things like Speed Boosts, and B and C-grade material bags are stored in this section. These items can be obtained through battles and daily log-in rewards.
Tokens are useful for recruiting heroes into our team. Thes tokens can be obtained through battles and daily log-in rewards.
Three Kingdoms: Legends Of War has three currencies in use.
- Orders (Scrolls): Used for sending our heroes into battle. Can be purchased with the premium currency and can be obtained from mission rewards.
- Gold: As with a lot of other games, Gold is the primary Free-To-Get currency, though it can also be purchased with the premium currency. Can be obtained from missions and daily login rewards.
- Jades: Jades are the premium currency of the Three Kingdoms. It is used for speeding up progress, is used to purchase other resources, and is only purchasable with real money, except in a few rare cases where we can get them as rewards.
Three Kingdoms: Legends of War Beginners Guide: Tips and Tricks
Here are some of our tips in our Three Kingdoms: Legends Of War Beginners Guide to help you, newbies, to kickstart your journey.
- Always use your strongest heroes for battles. If they are resting/healing up, let them rest and then take them into battle.
- Max out all upgrades before moving on to the next Main Castle level. It is always better to get all the upgrades done before moving to the next level, as it helps with concentrating on the next level’s objectives when we get there, and we do not have to worry about upgrading any old items.
- When constructing buildings, pay attention to how much Governance a hero has. The more Governance a hero has, the faster they will complete the work.
- Always use up your skill points when available. They recharge after a short time, so it is better to use them and make your hero stronger as soon as possible.
- Log in at least once a day to collect daily login rewards. They will help you in your progression.
- Be mindful when spending gold. It is very easy to get caught up in upgrading your favorite hero, and you could forget about the strongest hero for that mission. Upgrade the strongest hero for the mission, first.
So go ahead and give it a try! If you find trouble, don’t hesitate to fall back on this Three Kingdoms: Legends of War beginners guide for tips.
That’s all from us for the Three Kingdoms: Legends Of War Beginners Guide! Did you find our Three Kingdoms: Legends Of War beginners guide helpful? Do let us know in the comments!