The most hyped and awaited Battle Royale mobile game has officially been released. The game has brought many exciting features using which players can take advantage. One such addition that has brought excitement among users is undoubtedly Controller Support. Three or four finger play with on-screen controls can be a tad difficult for beginners. The game is structured around shooting and itchy movements, a controller could prove to be handy in this situation with the precision, smoothness, and flexibility that it provides, especially when you aim shots from a range. This guide explains how to connect a controller to your phone to play Apex Legends Mobile, what devices are compatible, and other aspects related to controller support.
Controller Support for Apex Legends Mobile
Apex Legends Mobile does come with controller support for both Android and iOS Devices. You can use a combination of controller input and touch screen controls at the same time. That gives you the freedom to try out both at the same time and figure out which one you are comfortable with.
List of Controllers compatible with Apex Legends Mobile
Unfortunately, not all controllers are compatible with Apex Legends Mobile. The list is in fact quite short and disheartening. Here are the only few controllers that work for now:
- PlayStation DualShock 4 Wireless Controller (PS4).
- PlayStation DualSense Controller (PS5).
- Xbox X/S Series Controllers.
- Xbox One Controller.
- Razer Kishi Universal Mobile Gaming Controllers (only for iPhone Devices).
If you are planning to buy a new controller, besides following the above list, you should additionally check on the web which among these mentioned ones best suits your device. You can even get in touch with your device manufacturer for guidance.
How to connect your Controller and play Apex Legends Mobile
- Do not download any third-party software as it is prone to risks. Go to your phone’s Settings menu and switch the Bluetooth on.
- Once you do so, you will find a list of Paired Devices and Available Devices for Pairing. Make sure to switch on your controller at this step.
- To do so you need to hold the PlayStation Button(Power Button) and the Share button simultaneously. Press and hold both for 5 seconds and you will see the LED flashing which indicates that the controller is now switched on. It is usually present at the top or at the bottom and varies from controller to controller.
- If you have connected your controller to your smartphone before, it will show up in the list of Paired Devices. Tapping on it will automatically set up a connection.
- If this is the first time you are connecting your controller to your phone, it will show up in the list of Available Devices. You just have to tap on it and pair them up to establish a connection. A message would pop up asking if you would like to pair your device, tap on Yes/Confirm. Your controller would auto-enable itself at this stage.
- Once the connection is established, launch the game and you should be able to access all the in-game Settings and Options using the Controller.
Note: If you still could not establish a Controller Connection, launch the game, go to the Controller 1.0 Menu and then navigate to the Cloud Settings, and set that to One. Now go back to the Controller Menu Page and tap on the Sync to Cloud option just beside the Reset Settings button. Now re-launch your game and see if it works.
How to choose the best Controller Settings for Apex Legends Mobile
Configuring your Controller
You can actually configure the controls based on your preference. To do so, adhere to the steps below:
- Tap on the Setting option present on the bottom left corner of the home screen. This would take you to the in-game Settings menu.
- From the right-hand side menu options, choose the Controller 1.0 option. And navigate to the Button tab. This menu gives you a pictorial view of the in-game actions facilitated by each button of your controller. Since it is all about muscle memory, you may choose to toggle some of the button actions at your convenience.
- To do so, smash the Custom Layout button under the Button tab. Now to swap controls, you just need to tap on the button you want to switch and then tap the button on your controller with which you want to switch the same. As simple as that.
- Once you are done with the changes, tap on the Reset Settings button to save your changes. You can re-configure it anytime you wish to.
Choosing the Best Settings
Besides the Button tab, Controller 1.0 has the Basic and Camera tab. Under the Basic Tab, you can adjust the Sensitivity and Joystick Dead Zone. We recommend the following settings:
- Joystick Dead-Zone(movement): It controls the movement of your left joystick, before being recognized as a movement in the game. We would recommend you bring that down to 0.1%.
- Cursor Sensitivity: The Sensitivity Settings of your cursor. Raise that to 200% for a smooth experience.
- Overall Sensitivity Scale: The overall Sensitivity Setting. You can keep it at 100%(default value) or raise it to 110% at the maximum.
- Vertical Sensitivity Setting: Another Sensitivity Setting that applies Vertically. Lower that down to 75%.
- FPP without ADS: The sensitivity setting of your joystick in First Person Mode. Let it be at the default setting(100%).
- TPP without ADS: The sensitivity setting of your joystick in Third Person Mode. Just like the previous setting, it is advisable not to tamper with it and let it be at 100%(default setting).
- Optic ADS: The zoom range with each weapon type. Set that according to your comfort.
For the Camera Tab Settings:
- Joystick deadzone (rotation): It controls the movement of your right joystick, before being recognized as a movement in the game.
- External Threshold: Set it at 50%.
- Additional Rotation Speed: Additional Camera rotation Speed if desired. You can keep it at 50% for the best experience.
- Additional Rotation Speed Vertical Zoom: Additional Camera rotation Speed for Vertical Zoom. This is not required. Let it be 0%.
- Additional Speed Ramp-up Time: This setting is for the fade-in movement. You can keep that at 0.25.
- Additional Speed Ramp-up Delay: An improvement over the previous Setting. Let it be at zero. Play a game with the controller and decide accordingly.
Additionally, if you’re having issues with aiming and moving. i.e., aim stuttering and movement hitching, one must look to turn down the frame rate for a better gameplay experience. These are just our personal choices. You can always customize the settings at your own convenience.
Give these settings a try and if you are finding trouble connecting to a controller or with the newly added settings, you can always fall back to this Apex Legends Mobile: Controller Support Guide for immediate assistance.
What are your thoughts on the Apex Legends Mobile controller support guide? Let us know in the comments below!