The Indian Government is monitoring 275 Chinese apps for violation of national security and user privacy, as reported by the Economic Times. This list of Chinese apps facing a ban threat in India includes popular mobile games like PUBG Mobile and Clash of Clans, and other Supercell games as well. This follows the ban of 47 Chinese apps recently, which were found to be cloned versions of some of the 59 Chinese apps which were banned last month including major games like Mobile Legends and Clash of Kings. All of this comes from the aftermath of a clash involving India & China at the Galwan Valley on June 15 which led to 20 Indian soldiers losing their lives.
Why are the Chinese apps including PUBG Mobile & Clash of Clans being considered for ban in India?
Previously, the 59 apps including Mobile Legends & Clash of Kings were banned for misuse on both android and iOs platforms for “stealing and transmitting users’ data in an unauthorized manner to servers located outside India“, as announced by the Ministry of Electronics & IT. Very recently, another 47 apps were banned by the Government after being found to be the clones of some of the previously banned apps.
About the 275 apps being scrutinized for a potential ban including PUBG Mobile & Clash of Clans, official sources close to the Union Home Ministry said that reviews aimed at identifying more Chinese apps and their funding is underway.
Additionally, officials are also looking at the data-sharing norm of China that requires companies of Chinese-origin to share data with the home country, irrespective of where they operate.
Which apps other than PUBG Mobile & Clash of Clans are being considered for ban?
Among the Chinese apps being scrutinised now are 14 Mi apps by Xiaomi. Apps from other Chinese internet and tech majors like Meitu, LBE Tech, Perfect Corp, Sina Corp, NetEase Games, Yoozoo Global are also present apart from China’s largest internet major Tencent Games. Also in the list are Helsinki based publisher Supercell, where Tencent bought a stake last year. That means major games from these companies such as PUBG Mobile, Clash of Clans, Clash Royale, Brawl Stars, Marvel Super War along with upcoming Eve Echoes are all facing a potential ban threat in India.
When will these apps be banned?
An official from the Ministry of Electronics & IT said the Indian government will follow due process before undertaking any ban on all, some or none of the 275 Chinese apps. “There is a process involved, there is a committee in place for such ban orders. If there is such an order, then MeitY will act”, said the person.
Meanwhile, the Indian government set up a committee to examine the data practices of the 59 Chinese apps previously banned will review the companies’ responses, the deadline for which expires this week. Further actions will be taken if needed. As we understand, there are some procedures currently going on regarding the potential ban of the 275 Chinese apps including the likes of PUBG Mobile & Clash of Clans in India.
The apps being considered for ban currently have a huge market in India, particularly PUBG Mobile and Clash of Clans. PUBG Mobile recently reached $3 Billion in lifetime revenue with 734 million downloads, where India ranked in No.1 with 175 million total installations, 24% of the total. Supercell Games such as Clash of Clans, Clash Royale and Brawl Stars have been massively popular in India as well. So it’s understandable that many of the Indian gamers won’t be happy as these apps are being considered for ban.
There have been recent movements like #BanChineseProducts and #BoycottMadeInChina on social media, where people from different communities raised voice for banning Chinese apps, games and other products as well. The Indian government is taking serious steps as they look to tighten the security of the Indian cyberspace.
That’s all we got for today regarding as Indian government considers 275 Chinese apps PUBG Mobile & Clash of Clans for ban in India. What is your opinion on this? Let us know in the comment section below.