Conduit in Minecraft is a block similar to a beacon. It provides Conduit power, which is an area-of-effect status that grants bonuses like Haste and Water Breathing when underwater. A Conduit also serves as a weapon against hostile underwater mobs. It is very useful to have when you’re doing some underwater exploration or simply want to build an underwater home. Here’s our Minecraft guide to tell you how to build a Conduit along with its uses and functions.
Obtaining materials for the Conduit in Minecraft
Conduits in Minecraft are a bit difficult to obtain as you need to go out of your way to get the materials required for its crafting. It requires two materials: 8 Nautilus shells, a Heart of The Sea, and Prismarine blocks.
Players can obtain Nautilus via three methods:
- Fishing them up: This can be made easier by applying the highest level of Luck of The Sea you can on your fishing rod.
- Drowned have a 3% chance (8% chance in the Bedrock edition) of spawning with a Nautilus shell in their hands. Killing Drowned with these in hand gives you guaranteed Nautilus shells.
- The easiest method is to trade emeralds with a Wandering Trader in exchange for Nautilus shells. You can obtain each shell for 5 emeralds, making it a total of 40 emeralds for 8 Nautilus shells. However, each Wandering Trader offering Nautilus shells can only sell 5, so you need to look for two of them to complete the requirements.
2. Heart of The Sea
You cannot farm but instead spawn in buried treasure chests, which are a hassle to look for. You can look for buried treasure using a treasure map which leads players to them. Alternatively, you can tame a dolphin which will transport you to the nearest buried treasure.
Before going underwater though, it is recommended that players get items to breathe underwater easily. There are many ways to do so, ranging from doors and turtle shells to water-breathing potions and Respiration enchanted helmets. Each level of respiration adds 15 seconds of extra underwater time to the default 15 seconds.
Prismarine is another material you need to obtain to build a conduit. It is probably the most difficult one to obtain unless you have previously defeated an ocean monument.
- The top two layers of the monument give you 16 Prismarine blocks and 4 sea lanterns. So, if you get lucky, the top of the monument might be close to the sea surface. 16 is the minimum number of blocks you need to build a basic conduit and up to 42 for a fully functional conduit.
- Alternatively, Prismarine can also be obtained from Guardians. The elder Guardians in undefeated monuments can be a pain o deal with as they impart players with mining fatigue, making it next-to-impossible to mine blocks. It is best to clear an entire ocean monument before you get to mining.
- It is recommended to get TNT blocks, which can kill mobs indiscriminately and quickly. Be sure to keep yourself away from blast range though.
How to craft a Conduit in Minecraft
- Place 1 Heart of The Sea in the center of the crafting square and 8 Nautilus shells around it.
- This successfully creates a conduit that needs to be activated by building the base for it.
How to use a Conduit in Minecraft
Conduits need a frame around them to work. The range and power of a conduit depend on the type of frame it is placed in. The larger the frame, the better.
- Create a plus-sign-shaped base using 9 blocks in a nice, open underwater area. Ensure you are deep enough underwater to fit the frame in case you want to make a full-sized conduit. You can make the entire structure out of a single type of Prismarine block or multiple for the sake of aesthetics.
- At each extremity of the base, create a 4-block high pillar. It can also be extended to a height of 42 since for every 7 Prismarine blocks, the range of the conduit increases by 16 blocks.
- Close the frame at the top by joining the pillars in the same ‘plus-sign’ shape as you made the base out of.
- Close the sides of the frame by going around and placing blocks to form a loop at the mid-part.
- It is time to place the conduit at the center of the entire frame. Add a temporary block to seat the conduit. After placing the conduit on top of that block, break the block so the conduit is floating in the water.
- All players within the range of the conduit get conduit boost status effects. The range of the conduit varies from 32 to 96 blocks, depending on how many blocks you made the frame out of. You can set up multiple conduit frames and gain unlimited power too.
Functions of the Conduit in Minecraft
- Conduits have a wide range of functions and uses. They mainly serve as weapons against any mob that try to come near them.
- It also enables players to stay underwater for indefinite periods without accumulating any damage. Players also get perfect underwater vision, regardless of their depth.
It is important to note that the enemy-attacking feature is only activated when you construct a complete 42-block frame. On completing the 42-block frame, hostile mobs within 8 blocks of the conduit are dealt 4 units of damage every 2 seconds.
- Conduits are pretty useful when players want to have underground bases and buildings, even if they are playing on hardcore mode.
- They also increase mining speed by up to 16.7%. You can activate conduits in any biome and at any depth or height. The only requirement is that the entire system has to be underwater.
- Conduits also emit light of level 15, which is the highest possible light level in the game. This is regardless of whether they are activated or not, even if they are on land.
To make the conduit work on the land, players can set up some sort of waterfall system around the conduit. With the help of that, it stays active and attacks enemy mobs. even while it is not truly under the sea. This is quite a neat trick to exploit the workings of a conduit.
Did you find our guide on how to make a Conduit in Minecraft helpful? Let us know your opinions in the comments below!