The great Hearthstone clock in the sky has moved forward once more. The Year of the Gryphon is almost over, and we’re getting ready for what’s next in the Tavern. The inauguration of Voyage to the Sunken City on April 12 kicks off the Year of the Hydra. The free Core set will increase to 250 cards, with 72 returning and modified cards rotating in, including Reno Jackson and Wild Pyromancer, among others.
Year of the Hydra brings fresh new content and updates to Hearthstone
The Year of the Hydra, the new Hearthstone year, is all about adding new content and enhancements to the existing modes, with a renewed focus on long-term sustainability and optimization. Players can expect quality-of-life and other enhancements, such as the ability to equip a random hero skin, in-game reporting, and a general focus on improving client performance. This is in addition to the typical three-card sets and a mountain of new content planned for Battlegrounds, Mercenaries, and other games.
The Year of the Hydra will begin on April 12 with the release of Voyage to the Sunken City, followed by set rotation, which will send Ashes of Outland, Scholomance Academy, and Madness at the Darkmoon Faire to Wild. Forged in the Barrens, United in Stormwind, Fractured in Alterac Valley, Voyage to the Sunken City, and the Core set will be included in the Standard card pool after set rotation.
Hearthstone Year of the Hydra: Core set changes
57 cards are rotating out
- Demon Hunter: Ashtongue Battlelord, Warglaives of Azzinoth
- Druid: Enchanted Raven, Landscaping, Menagerie Warden, Nordrassil Druid, Ancient of War
- Hunter: Webspinner, Lock and Load, Scavenging Hyena, Headhunter’s Hatchet, Bearshark
- Mage: Water Elemental, Mirror Entity, Fallen Hero, Coldarra Drake
- Paladin: Holy Light, Pursuit of Justice, Guardian of Kings
- Priest: Crimson Clergy, Shadowform, Lightspawn, Temple Enforcer, Natalie Seline
- Rogue: Bladed Cultist, Patient Assassin
- Shaman: Windfury, Unbound Elemental, Draenei Totemcarver, Earth Elemental
- Warlock: Dread Infernal, Possessed Villager, Enslaved Fel Lord, Ritual of Doom
- Warrior: Warsong Commander, War Cache, Warsong Outrider
- Neutral: Arcane Anomaly, Argent Squire, Cogmaster, Young Priestess, Mini-Mage, River Crocolisk, Toxicologist, Brightwing, Earthen Ring Farseer, Flesheating Ghoul, Ice Rager, Injured Blademaster, King Mukla, Spider Tank, Stoneskin Basilisk, Baron Rivendare, Gurubashi Berserker, High Inquisitor Whitemane, Barrens Stablehand, Clockwork Giant.
72 cards are coming in
- Demon Hunter: Metamorphosis, Wrathscale Naga, Flamereaper
- Druid: Fandral Staghelm, Earthen Scales, Wrath, Living Roots, Mounted Raptor, Ancient of Lore
- Hunter: Houndmaster Shaw, Animal Companion, Springpaw, Cloaked Huntress, Marked Shot, Candleshot
- Mage: Kalecgos, Pyroblast, Blizzard, Pyromaniac, Explosive Runes
- Paladin: Flash of Light, Amber Watcher, Bronze Explorer, Ragnaros Lightlord
- Priest: Lyra the Sunshard, Northshire Cleric, Radiant Elemental, Lightbomb, Drakonid Operative, Murozond the Infinite
- Rogue: Tess Greymane, Buccaneer, Hench-Clan Burglar
- Shaman: Krag’wa, the Frog, Far Sight, Flametongue Totem, Maelstrom Portal, Bloodlust
- Warlock: Voidwalker, Imp Gang Boss, Abyssal Enforcer, High Priestess Jek’lik, Darkshire Librarian
- Warrior: Darius Crowley, Shield Block, Bloodhoof Brave, Bash
- Neutral: Zola the Gorgon, Sir Finley Mrrglton, Brann Bronzebeard, Elise Starseeker, Reno Jackson, Murloc Warleader, Mistress of Mixtures, Acolyte of Pain, Doomsayer, Beaming Sidekick, Gorillabot A-3, Tar Creeper, Lifedrinker, Wild Pyromancer, Sea Giant, Plated Beetle, Azure Drake, Twilight Drake, Escaped Manasaber, Primordial Drake, Mossy Horror, Faerie Dragon, Vulpera Scoundrel, Cobalt Scalebane, Injured Tol’vir
11 cards are getting updates (buffs/nerf reversions)
- Demon Hunter: Feast of Souls is 1 mana; Wrathscale Naga has 2 Health
- Druid: Nourish is 5 mana
- Mage: Kalecgos is 9 mana
- Paladin: Equality costs 2 mana; Bronze Explorer has 3 Attack
- Warlock: High Priestess Jek’lik has 5 Health
- Warrior: Execute is 1 mana; Darious Crowley has 5 Health
- Neutral: Gorillabot A3 costs 3 mana; Azure Drake has 5 Health
Updates for the Core set will go live during set rotation, with 57 cards being rotated out and 72 being added, bringing the total number of cards in Core to 250, which is 15 more than last year. These new additions are mostly made up of old cards that have been updated for the modern game.
Reno Jackson, Brann Bronzebeard, Elise Starseeker, and Sir Finley Mrrgglton, the original League of Explorers, are all returning to the Core set. Voidwalker, Wild Pyromancer, Acolyte of Pain, Mossy Horror, Cloaked Huntress, and Fandral Staghelm are among the other returning favorites.