In League of Legends: Wild Rift, Galio is a tank and mage generally played in the mid lane and support role. His main strength is his strong resistance to magic damage and kit which gets stronger the more magic resistance you build, which is to put simply, he counters magic damage. Also, he provides very reliable crowd control (CC) and decent damage output. Moreover, he has one of the strongest waveclear on the game whilst being able to sustain damage which is very strong when combined with his good potential to roam with his ultimate. In this guide, we will take a closer look at the best runes, spells, and builds, including tips and tricks to fight your way to victory with Galio in League of Legends: Wild Rift.
We have previously discussed how to master playing with LoL Wild Rift heroes likeAmmu, Master Yi, Jinx, Braum, Dr. Mundo, Akali, Yasuo, Singed, Jax, Darius, Ashe, Lulu, Miss Fortune, Blitzcrank, Teemo, Xayah, Rakan, Corki, Shyvana, Janna, Katarina, Leona, Pantheon, and Diana. So make sure to check these hero guides as well. For now, let’s focus on this guide of Galio.
Galio is a champion with the common five skill sets of one passive and four actives. In this Galio guide, we are going to see how his abilities in LoL Wild Rift work and when you should use which skill to be in the best shape in the current rank season.
Passive – Collosal Smash
Enhances his next attack to deal 73 magic damage (15+100 AD +50% AP+60% Magic Resistance).
- This is one of Galio’s main waveclear tools. Though, don’t underestimate its damage output especially since it scales not only with Ability Power but also with Magic Resistance.
- This ability can critically strike by building Oblivion Orb.
Ability 1 – Winds of War
Fires two windblasts that deal 70 magic damage (70 +75%) and converge into a tornado. The tornado deals magic damage equal to 8% (8+2% AP) of the target’s maximum Health over 1.5 seconds.
- This ability is Galio’s main damaging tool used in poking, securing last hits on minions, and the most consistent damage source. In the laning phase, hit both the minions and the enemy champion by hitting the champions with the windblast and hitting the minions with the tornado. Finding the best angles is important!
- Remember, the windblast deals more damage to targets with low magic resistances so use it on squishier targets, while the tornado deals more damage to units with more health so use it on tanks. Again, find the best angle on what part of the ability you want to hit.
Ability 2 – Shield of Durand
Passive: Every 12 seconds, upon taking magic damage, Galio gains a shield that absorbs 49 magic damage (8% Maximum Health) for 3.5 seconds.
Hold: Enters a defensive stance, slowing himself by 25% for up to 2 seconds. Takes 25% (25 +5% AP + 8% Magic Resistance) reduced magic damage and 12.5% (12.5+2.5 AP +4% Magic Resistance) reduces physical damage.
Release: Deals 40 magic damage (40+60% AP) to nearby enemies and taunts them for 0.5-1.5 seconds, increased withhold time.
- This ability is very important and gives Galio the capability to engage in team fights and potentially disable 5 enemy champions at once.
- It synergizes well with Righteous Glory since it can overcome the self-inflicted slow from the ability, making it deadlier and more of a threat.
- Remember that there are some situations where you don’t have to completely charge the ability, yet you will still hit Ability 3 or Ability 1 for sure.
- Also, note in mind that the shield it provides only works on Magic Damage so it’s completely useless on damage from the likes of Zed.
Ability 3 – Justice Punch
Dashes forward until he hits an enemy champion or terrain, dealing 90 magic damage (90 +90% AP) to enemies and knocking them up for 0.75 seconds. Deals 50% damage to minions.
- There are times where you don’t have to cast this ability towards the enemy champion but rather from the enemy champions back since it knocks them back.
- This ability can be easily set up by Ability 2 and Ability 4‘s knock-up.
- You wouldn’t want to use this ability to clear waves since it’s your only escape option and it deals less damage to minions.
- This ability does not go through walls.
Ability 4 – Hero’s Entrance
Grants Shield of Durand’s passive shield for 3.5 seconds to all allied champions near the target and designate the position as his landing spot. After 2.5 seconds, Galio arrives at the location, dealing 150 magic damage (150 +70% AP) to nearby enemies and knocking them up for 0.75 seconds.
- A very good global ability which is effective in roams. It synergizes exceptionally well Camille ult, Pantheon ult, and Twisted Fate ult as well.
- The knock-up it provides can setup all of your abilities, especially Ability 2.
- Take note that the shield it provides is based on Ability 2’s shield.
Skill Up Methods for Galio
Skill up the Ultimate whenever it is available. Regarding other skills, upgrade the 1st ability first, then the 2nd ability, and lastly the 3rd ability. However, there are some rare occasions where there is no magic damage on the enemy team. On these types of games, max 3rd ability before 2nd ability since the magic shield provided by 2nd will be useless, though Galio shouldn’t be really picked into such games.
Best Runes Setup and Spells for Galio in Wild Rift
This is the standard guide Runes Setup that should be for Galio in Wild Rift. However, some runes can also be considered and swapped in some situation:
- Aftershock – standard keystone on Galio, he has 3 abilities to proc the rune and it provides him more bulk which he can utilize when trading and engaging in team fights or skirmishes. Also, since Galio will generally build Health, the damage of the rune will scale well into the game. Additionally, this rune is what you will be getting when playing support Galio.
- Electrocute – a more offensive option for Galio. Makes his all-ins stronger and is good pick for pure damage Galio.
- Summon Aery – a balance of offense and defense. His ultimate can proc the shield provided by the rune, while he can abuse the rune by poking with Ability 1. Though it requires you to consistently hit Ability 1 for it to be efficient.
- Gathering Storm – most ideal rune for Galio since it will help him scale harder.
- Brutal – viable against very easy matchups where you can poke hard.
- Weakness – the utility it provides for your team will be valuable when playing tank or support Galio.
- Backbone – more early game bulkiness, viable if you’re looking for a strong early game.
- Hunter-Titan – a strong rune for Galio since he is supposed to participate in many kills as much as possible. Provides bonus health which will give you more bulk and a stronger Aftershock.
- Loyalty – good for support Galio.
- Regeneration – viable against ranged matchups like Kennen or Mages which will harass you a lot. Though it is not that necessary since Galio can usually soak poke in the laning phase.
- Pathfinder – useful for roaming and makes your Ability 2 more effective.
- Sweet Tooth – it is viable if you like the rune, though there are many better options.
- Hunter: Genius – it is good for the same reason as Hunter-Titan.
- Manaflow Band – it is best Galio rune under the Inspiration tree if you can hit your Ability 1 consistently. The mana it returns can make your poke not run out of gas and survive laning phase without recalling that much.
Best Summoner Spells
It is the best rune for Galio and you would not want to replace it with anything else. Flash + Ability 2 makes his engages more deadly. Also, it provides him another escape option.
Gives Galio more kill pressure which he can use both in the laning phase and in roaming.
A more experimental spell which synergizes well with Righteous Glory + Ability 2 by making it a lot faster.
It can be considered on support Galio or when against Zed to counter his all-ins.
It is also good for support Galio.
Best Builds for Galio in Wild Rift
Here is the standard template item setup guide for Galio in Wild Rift, this build has everything Galio needs which is Health to be able to soak a fair amount of damage, Magic Resistance, Ability Power, and lastly, Ability Haste. However, these items can be interchanged and even be replaced depending on the game and personal preference. Here’s the more detailed section of the guide:
- Rod of Ages – this is Galio’s best core item. It provides many valuable stats which are Ability Power, Mana and Health which he can all use. It will make him scale better and overall increase his damage and bulk.
- Awakened Soulstealer – Galio’s ultimate ability has a very long cooldown. This item will shorten the cooldown drastically and will provide other valuable stats like Ability Power and a separate Ability Haste from the stacked passive. However, you should take down all enemy champions in order to maximize their effect similar to the rune Hunter-Genius.
- Infinity Orb – this item is what you should be building when looking for more damage, especially when you have Electrocute rune.
- Liandry’s Torment – a viable option when against enemy champions stacking health items. It also provides bulk beside the damage from the passive.
- Luden’s Echo- a viable replacement for Rod of Ages as Galio’s core item if looking for a more offensive approach. It will make his burst and poke stronger and also provides decent Ability Haste.
- Morellonomicon – it is a situational item and will only be valuable against enemy champions with healing like Soraka, Dr. Mundo and champions building lots of physical vamp or magic vamp. Also, remember that Ocean Dragon gives both physical and magic vamp.
- Rabadon’s Deathcap – an overall good item on Galio which is a very strong power spike as well. Though it is expensive, so only buy it when ahead.
- Rylai’s Crystal Scepter – a viable item that can provide utility. However, it is not in a good spot right now and there are several better options.
- Void Staff – just like Rabadon’s Deathcap, it is generally a good buy but much cheaper. It is even more effective and is a must-buy against enemy champions building magic resistances.
- Abyssal Mask – this is the most effective defensive item for Galio, provides Health, Mana, and Magic Resistance while increasing his damage output at the same time. However, don’t build this when Magic Resistance is not that much needed.
- Winter’s Approach – when upgraded, the shield it provides synergizes well with Galio’s kit. It is viable if Tear of the Goddess is stacked completely first and prioritizing other core items before completed.
- Frozen Heart – a good defensive option that provides very valuable stats and passive which counters champions that rely on auto-attacks.
- Thornmail – another viable defensive option that also synergizes well with Galio’s kit since he can apply the anti-healing from his taunts and crowd control. Also provides damage return to make his taunts more effective.
- Sunfire Aegis – a viable core item for tank Galio. Provides lots of bulk, Ability Haste, and decent damage.
Awakened Soulstealer, Zeke’s Convergence, and Protector’s Vow– these 3 items are what you should prioritize and build in respective order when playing support Galio. Other items will depend on what your team needs.
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity– if enemy team has barely any Magic Damage or crowd control, pick this upgrade.
- Mercurial Treads – provides high value against Magic Damage and crowd control. Also, it enhances some of Galio’s abilities.
- Statis Enchantment – this is the safest enchantment for Galio since it can let him engage in team fights without any risk. Also, taunting then using Statis will not cancel the taunt but make champions affected stand still instead.
- Righteous Glory Enchantment – this is a very good enchantment for Galio and it synergizes well with his Ability 2. As stated, it overcomes the slow from Ability 2 when activated.
- Teleport Enchantment – a more advanced and macro-favored option that will be effective in some cases. Though, choosing this enchantment will make you lose up on other better options. This enchantment will make your roams more effective since you can use Ability 4 to respond to a fight and come back to your lane to defend without losing any value.
- Protobelt Enchantment – a viable option since it gives Galio another gap closer ability besides his Ability 3.
- Locket and Redemption Enchantment – good options for support Galio.
Note: It can be efficient to not upgrade boots enchantment immediately. This is because Regular Boots have a movement speed boost active which can be used in roaming and setting up your Ability 2.
League of Legends: Wild Rift Galio Gameplay Tips
Galio may seem like a very simple champion, however, there are some tricks and tips which can possibly make him more effective. Our League of Legends: Wild Rift Galio guide includes the perfect game plan to play according to your suitable playstyle, and utilizing Galio’s gameplay at the same time. Therefore, in this section of the guide, we provide some valuable information that can help you play Galio better.
- Never blind pick or first pick Galio on Ranked Games since a bad matchup can make him very weak in the early and mid phases of the game. Remember to only use him as a counter pick too many champions listed in the Matchups section of the guide.
- The angle of his Ability 1 can be rearranged by using Flash backwards while the animation is still midway.
- Your Ability 2 can be used to weaken big and immediate damage like Garen ultimate.
- Galio’s Ability 3 still goes through even if he is affected by most cc abilities if timed correctly, this includes Twisted Fate’s Yellow Card, Blitzcrank’s hook, Alistar’s Ability 1 and Orianna’s ultimate. However, it is cancelled by Ahri’s charm and Gragas’ body slam.
- Galio’s most effective playstyle in the midlane is to keep shoving the wave and roam. Even if it doesn’t result in kills, keep doing it and it will eventually result in one. This is even better with Upgraded boots active (movement speed boost) or Righteous Glory enchantment.
- Always respond to fights. Even without ultimate, Galio still provides high value on skirmishes and landing your abilities will win them in most cases.
- General combo: this combo is the standard which will be your all-in if an enemy is chipped enough; start by hitting Ability 3, if successful, use Ability 1 and attack to proc passive at the same time, then quickly cast Ability 2 to make the target stand on Ability 1 tornado for a short time.
- Best combo: you won’t be able to use this as much though this combo is what you will generally use to deal the most damage in the most little time, this is even more effective when waiting for an enemy to enter a bush; charge Ability 2 to max, then at the same time, cast Ability 1 and attack to proc passive then use Ability 3 backwards if you’re right on top of the enemy to make sure lands a lot quicker and won’t give them as much reaction time.
Pros and Cons of Galio
- Provides numerous amount of CC
- Very strong against AP scaling champions
- High map pressure
- Decent damage
- Natural bulk
- Provides shielding to ally and peel potential
- Strong team fighting and skirmishing
- Abilities have long cooldowns
- All abilities are dodgeable
- Not so strong against AD champions
- Only has one escape and engage tool which makes it risky to all-in
Matchups for Galio in Wild Rift
This section will be divided into 3 parts depending on their threat. Easy translate to match-ups where you will have the utmost advantage all throughout the game, Fair is a skill matchup and will generally depend on who’s better while Hard matchups are champions that beat you for some reason like countering your kit and out scaling you.
Just as how Galio is designed, you are supposed to be a hero and come for your teammates in aid. Don’t be afraid to engage teamfights and always be aware for teammates to save and respond to with your ultimate. Capitalize on his strengths and remember when to pick him or not.
To be a pro in Galio in Wild Rift, one needs to practice more and more with good knowledge of skills and their effects, so that the skill can be used with precision, and if stuck don’t hesitate to fall back to this guide for tips.
That’s all for today’s League of Legends: Wild Rift Galio Guide. Do you prefer to use Galio in any other way? Let us know in the comment section below!