The support role is filled with mages, enchanters, and tanks. All of these characters revolve around either soaking damage, while their lane partner outputs massive damage of their own, or healing and protecting their lane partner from dying. In a few rare cases, the support in the lane is the playmaker and the carry for the team. Pyke is one such support because he is a full-blown assassin. He can do significant work to help his lane partner, but if the lane partner is having a bad day, Pyke can step right up to the task. In this Wild Rift guide, we will take a look at the best emblem, spell, and builds, including tips and tricks to dominate every game with Pyke.
We also have previously discussed how to master playing with LoL Wild Rift champions like Ammu, Master Yi, Jinx, Braum, Dr. Mundo, Akali, Yasuo, Singed, Jax, Darius, Ashe, Lulu, Varus, Tristana, Kennen, Miss Fortune, Blitzcrank, Teemo, Xayah, Rakan, Corki, Shyvana, Janna, Katarina, Leona, Pantheon, Diana, Galio, Fiora, Rammus, Sona, Kai’Sa, Rengar, Kha’Zix, Nasus, Renekton, Irelia, Riven, Nami, Soraka, Graves, Senna, Lucian, Akshan, Thresh, Seraphine, Vayne, Ezreal, Ahri, Draven, Brand, Nunu and Willump, Lux, Veigar, Caitlyn, Morgana, Kayle, Sett, Yuumi, Alistar, Shen, Karma, Orianna, Gragas, Olaf, Ekko and Annie. So, players must make sure to check these champion guides as well. For now, let’s focus on this guide on Pyke in Wild Rift.
Pyke is an assassin with various utilities. He specializes in execution as well as helps the team get kills. He shares gold with an ally when he gets killed, hence he fits into the support role. Let us take a look at his skills.
Passive – Gift Of The Drowned Ones
Pyke stores 10% (10 + 0.35% damage taken) of the damage taken from enemy champions, it is increased to 35% (35 + 0.65% damage taken), if there are two or more visible enemy champions nearby. Damage stored cannot exceed 80 (lower value between 60% of maximum health and 80 + 800% bonus Attack Damage). When Pyke is not visible to enemies, he heals for the amount of damage stored. Pyke cannot increase his max health and converts 14 bonus Health to 1 Attack Damage.
Ability 1 – Bone Skewer
Charge: When Pyke charges up this ability, he slows himself by 20% for up to 3 seconds, and increases its cast range over the first 0.8 seconds.
Release: Pyke hurls his spear upon release, he deals 100 physical damage (100 + 60% bonus Attack Damage), slowing the target by 90% for 1 second, and pulls them in. Releasing the ability immediately cause Pyke to thrust his spear instead, dealing the same damage. This ability deals 50% damage to non-champions. If it is overcharged, it refunds a portion of its cooldown, and 50% of its mana cost.
Ability 2 – Ghostwater Dive
Pyke becomes camouflaged for 5 seconds and gains 40% Movement Speed (40 + 2% damage taken) that decays over the duration.
Ability 3 – Phantom Undertow
Pyke dashes forward, leaving behind a phantom. After 1 second, the phantom returns to Pyke, dealing 105 physical damage (105 + 100% bonus Attack Damage) to enemy champions, and stunning them for 1.25 (1.25 + 1% damage taken) seconds.
Ultimate – Death From Below
Pyke marks a target area with an X, executing enemy champions below 250 (250 + 50% bonus Attack Damage + 250% damage taken) health. Non-champions and champions above the threshold take 50% of this amount as physical damage.
If an enemy champion is struck, Pyke blinks to the location. If he was executed Pyke can recast Death From Below within 15 seconds. Each execution grants gold to Pyke and the last assisting teammate, and an enemy champion killed inside the X by a teammate grants Pyke gold.
Skill-Up Methods for Pyke
Pyke’s ability level-up order is as follows:
- 1st Ability (Bone Skewer): Level 1, 4, 6, 7.
- 2nd Ability (Ghostwater Dive): Level 3, 12, 14, 15.
- 3rd Ability (Phantom Undertow): Level 2, 8, 10, 11.
- Ultimate Ability (Death From Below): Level 5, 9, 13.
Best Rune Setups and Spells for Pyke in Wild Rift
In this section of the guide, we are going to talk about which Rune Setups and spells are the best for Pyke in the support role, in Wild Rift.
Pyke is an assassin, but he also has a bit of CC at his disposal. Because of this, runes that provide bonus damage after immobilizing enemies are the best for him.
Keystone Rune: Aftershock
Aftershock, when procced, grants the user bonus resistances, and also deals damage to enemies in an area around the user. For Pyke, this rune is the best, because his 1st ability immobilizes enemies by pulling them in, while his 3rd ability stuns them, thus granting him extra defenses and helping him to survive long enough to execute the enemy champions.
As said before, Pyke’s 1st and 3rd abilities immobilize the enemy. Weakness makes Pyke and his allies deal additional damage to immobilize enemies, hence making it a great rune choice for him.
Hunter – Titan
Pyke cannot gain additional maximum health from any source. Because of this, he cannot pile up more health to survive longer. This makes him squishy, and that is where Hunter-Titan comes into play. Since Pyke is squishy, if he gets caught by the enemy CC abilities, he can die very easily. But Hunter-Titan grants him tenacity. This tenacity increases when he gets kills on all 5 enemy champions at least once during the match. When this happens, Pyke can get out of enemy CC effects sooner, and therefore, he can survive longer.
Pyke is an assassin, and assassins benefit from roaming the map. Pathfinder helps him to do just that, with even more efficiency. This rune grants Pyke a 9% bonus movement speed when he is in the brush, jungle, and river, when out of combat.
This is self-explanatory. Flash helps Pyke to catch out defenseless enemies, when they are running away, and it also helps him to escape unfavorable situations by blinking away from the fight.
Ignite deals true damage to enemies over time, while also applying the Grievous Wounds effect to them. This can help Pyke when he is chasing a low-health enemy, who is just above the threshold of his execution range. He can ignite the enemy, and once they get below the execute threshold, he can use his ultimate and get the kill.
Best Build for Pyke in League of Legends: Wild Rift
In this section of the guide, we will discuss the best build for Pyke in League of Legends: Wild Rift.
- Youmuu’s Ghostblade: This item grants Pyke 50 Attack Damage and 15 Ability Haste. It also grants him 15 flat Armor Penetration, which is great for bypassing the low armor of squishy enemy ADC (Attack Damage Carry)/APC (Ability Power Carry) in the early game. On top of that, it also grants him 40 Movement Speed which helps him to roam around the map.
- Duskblade of Draktharr: Duskblade procs when unseen by the enemy for at least 1 second. This means that if Pyke attacks an enemy that doesn’t have any vision, bonus damage is dealt to them. It grants Pyke 55 Attack Damage and 10 Ability Haste, along with 15 flat Armor Penetration.
- Lucidity Boots (Protobelt Enchant): Lucidity boots grant additional Ability Haste and reduce Pyke’s ability cooldowns. This helps him to use his abilities more often. The Protobelt Enchant provides Pyke with an additional dash that can be used in different ways according to the situation at hand.
- Edge Of Night: Edge of Night is a very important item for Pyke. The most useful feature of this item is its spell shield. This shield negates the next enemy ability used on Pyke. For example, if Malphite uses his ultimate on Pyke when his spell shield is active, he won’t be damaged or knocked up by the effect. It grants him 250 Health (which is converted to additional Attack Damage as specified before), and 8 flat Armor Penetration.
- Umbral Glaive: This item is very useful on a roaming assassin like Pyke. Whenever Pyke walks by an enemy ward while this item is equipped and off cooldown, it spots the ward and disables it, along with all other traps in its radius. When you attack these traps/wards, they are destroyed in one basic attack, instead of the usual three basic attacks. It grants Pyke 50 Attack Damage, 10 Ability Haste, and 12 flat Armor Penetration.
- Guardian Angel: GA grants Pyke 40 Armor and 40 Attack Damage. The most important part is its resurrect effect, where it resurrects Pyke once when he dies. It has a 210-second cooldown.
League of Legends: Wild Rift Pyke Gameplay Tips
In this section of the guide, we will discuss how to play Pyke in the early, mid, and late games in Wild Rift.
With Pyke, it is best to stay in lane with the lane partner in the early game. The player must try to be aggressive and set up plays, but do not risk their own lives to make them. They must collect all the passive farm they can, and get their first two items and boots.
Once players have their first few damage items and boots, they must start roaming. Saving the ultimate for executable enemies. roaming to mid lane first, then to top lane, then try to roam with the jungler for a bit, players must try helping him out with objectives.
Due to Pyke’s utilities, he can do more than a normal assassin, and output tons of damage while doing so. If the enemy also has roaming support like a Pyke or Rakan, they must match theirs roams and try to get to the lane they want to gank, before them. In this way, players can match their engagement and also protect their allies. This is also the point where Pyke can try getting fed through your ultimate. Try to make as many risks, but worth-it plays, as one can during this stage.
The late game is where you start to fall off a little as Pyke. The most important tip to remember in the late game is to never, ever start a fight. Wait for your team to start the fight, then peel for your ADC and try to pick off stragglers with your ultimate.
Since everyone starts to get their late-game items by now, engaging as Pyke is basically suicide. You aren’t completely helpless like a Master Yi, but due to your limited CC, you have to stay back and wait for opportunities to catch an out-of-place enemy and hit them with your abilities.
|Champions that counter Pyke||Champions that Pyke counters|
Pyke is unusual support, but he is great in his own way. Supports are generally helpers to their lane partners, while Pyke doesn’t hesitate to get his hands dirty, just like in his lore. He is very dangerous in the mid-game where he can roam and get kills before the enemy knows what hit them, and around objective fights, he can be the game-changer by executing the enemy jungler if possible. He is not easy to support to play, not at all, but once mastered, he provides remarkable utility despite being an assassin.
That’s all for today’s League of Legends: Wild Rift Pyke Guide. Do you prefer to use/build him in any other, different way? Let us know in the comment section below!